a 2 Kilo duck
1st Marinade, before baking:
1 ts of coarse salt
1 ts of ground black pepper
¼ ts of ginger powder
2 small chopped shallots
60 ml of semi-dry white wine
3 crushed cloves of garlic
2 spoons of chopped fresh mint
1 spoon of soy sauce
2nd Marinade for baking
5 shallots right cut in four pieces
1 small yellow onion
6 crushed cloves of garlic
2 spoons of red wine vinegar
1 and ¼ spoons of olive oil
1 and ¾ spoons of raw sugar powder
1 spoon of polyfloral honey
1 spoon of dry rosemary
1-2 spoons of fresh mint
600 ml of semi-dry white wine
400 ml of sweet white wine
The glaze, part of the 2nd Marinade
1 spoon of polyfloral honey
1 spoon of raw sugar powder
1 spoon of orange juice
¾ teaspoons of chili
1 spoon of coarse salt
Before we plunge, the duck must be completely thawed.
1. After thawing, we wash it and wipe it with a paper towel and scorch it. We clean the slit belly fat if necessary and cut some of the excess skin of the neck.
2. Remove the small feather roots with tweezers. Wash again and dry it really well both outside and inside with paper towels.
3. For the 1st Marinade mix all ingredients.
4. Brush well the duck with 1st Marinade inside and seal with a barbecue skewer the opening in the abdomen. Prick the duck skin with care here and there with a fork or a toothpick (do not get to the meat).
5. Put the duck into a bowl and proceed to mixing ingredients for the 2nd Marinade. They tower over the duck.
6. Put some weight over the duck and introduce the bowl in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
7. Remove the duck out of the fridge (it is advisable to remove it from the fridge and from the marinade with 4 hours before to put it in the oven, but I skipped this step… shame on me), tie the neck skin with a hemp rope, cross it, get it over the legs` wrists and pull the rope to the legs` end. Than put the duck into “crossing legs” position and tie it well with the rest of the rope. Tuck under its wing tip as shown.
8. Put the duck in the pan on rack, along with 400 ml of the 2nd Marinade and with 300 ml of water and bring it in the preheated oven at 160 Celsius degrees for exactly one hour. If the water drops always fully clear, but be sure its level to be 2-3 cm below the grate. (Have a tweezers at hand because although I cleaned it out well, it still had some remained small feathers roots).
9. After an hour remove the duck from the oven, cut the thread and pull gently, leaving caught only the end of the legs, than pull out the barbecue skewer. Prick the skin with a fork face down the duck on the grill and put it in the oven for another hour at 190 Celsius degrees. Keep up the liquid level by completing it when needed. After 40 min check out if there is still liquid in the pan.
11. The glaze is prepared as follows. Strain the rest of the 2nd Marinade, put it in a non-adherent pot and leave it at low heat until reduced to about ¼ of the original amount. Then put together honey, sugar, orange juice, salt, chili powder, cloves and mix well. Leave the bowl over low heat until the mixture thickens.
12. Remove the duck from the oven, prick the skin with a fork, put the glaze on all sides with a brush and put it in the oven for another 10 minutes, at 210 Celsius degrees, with the mention that the liquid must be added carefully, because it evaporates quickly.